Saturday, July 24, 2010

Kandahar Air Force Base ( KAF)

I arrived on Thursday on a plane that seemed like the 30 minute flight was pushing it's limits. Landed on KAF, and as we waited to taxi to the deboarding area 2 F18 fighter jets screamed past us and up into the sky. I am clearly with the Air Force now. Compared to Leatherneck this place is a zoo. Massive base that took me nearly an hour to drive just the perimeter road today, granted 20mph is the speed limit, but still. Over 30,000 soldiers and civilians live here, the place is a madhouse. It looks like they opened the gates and everyone ran and spread out their compounds like blankets at a concert. Endless allies cut through in every direction. Incredibly confusing getting around in certain areas. Thankfully I have my trusty Toyota 4Runner to get me around, yup they are all over the place here too. Even though this is an Air Force Base, the Army is crawling everywhere. Massive armored vehicles line the roads and travel in convoys 25+ towards the gates to go off into the desert. My compound is about 100yds from the back gate where it seems they mostly mobilize from(see above left picture). Last night I barely slept from the constant diesel engines sitting just outside waiting to go out.

The Taliban has been launching rockets toward the base most nights the past few weeks. Never really getting close but enough that the siren goes off and you hit the deck. I am already fastest deck hitter around after 1 night. I almost knocked my front teeth out on the floor last night front the velocity of my hitting of the deck. 
Lookout station across the street
I had a pretty busy day today and tomorrow is most likely the same but I managed to take a few pictures of the area directly in front of the compound. All I did was walk out front and take a few pictures. I am literally in the middle of things. I will hopefully get a bunch more in the next few days and may even just do a post of pictures. It's really the only way to even begin to describe the scene here.

Absolute badass trucks. They have replaced the hummers.
I want one, wonder if they are good on fuel?

                                                                               

1 comment: